Wednesday, June 6, 2012

My Front Door is a Chalkboard!


The other night I was having some trouble falling asleep as I just had too many ideas buzzing around in my head.  What keeps me up at night?  Well, this one crazy idea stuck enough for me to remember it in the morning...why not paint the front door with sidewalk chalk?! What?  You mean nutty ideas like this don't keep you up at night?  Well, I am more than happy to share my craziness with you so you can sleep soundly and still wake up with fun ideas!!


Last week I picked up a can of chalkboard paint and went to town.  [I must mention here how thankful I am to have a husband who willingly goes along with any and all of my design decisions] We had to wait a few days before using it, but today I was finally able to write on it and I love it!  I wasn't sure if it would hold up to the elements, but after doing some web research I found out that it's okay to use outdoors as long as it is protected from the elements.  Our front door is under an eave, and behind a storm door.  So, hopefully it will last.  (I'll come back and comment after we've braved another Minnesota winter for an update!)

There are a few things I know I'll be using this door for now...

- "Come on in" signs for when we host parties
- Seasonal/Holiday related greetings
- "Sleeping toddlers: You wake 'em, you take 'em! Please don't ring the bell!"
- Our house number?
- "No solicitors!"
- "Hey kids, stop fighting and go color on the front door!!"

hmmm...there are so many possibilities!

I used the Rustoleum paint but after doing some web searching I found that you can actually get colored chalkboard paint too!  Here are some links...


Don't forget to stock up on chalk! I have a lot of sidewalk chalk on hand for the kids, but some normal sized chalk is better for smaller messages.  I totally want to make some sort of holder for some chalk and an eraser too, so friends can leave messages! (or delivery guys we missed?) Our door is actually metal so I'm thinking some kind of magnetic pen/pencil holder would work for now!








2 comments:

  1. I love this idea. I just might use it in my daughter's room seeing how she recently discovered writing on walls are fun. Now she will have her own wall space to color on. And no, your not the only one who's crazy ideas keep them up all night. Look at me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A chalkboard door? That is creative for sure! I’m sure the kids would love to have this door for their rooms. They can write and doodle anytime they like. It will surely enhance their creativity. Mothers can also use this chalkboard door to teach their kids with their schoolwork. It is very creative and functional!

    -Adam Waterford

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails