Saturday, October 26, 2013

ID Mommy Projects: DIY Jake and the Neverland Pirates Costume!



My 3 year old has really been into Jake and the Neverland Pirates this past year, so of course he wanted to be Jake for Halloween!  Here's what I came up with!  And like the Angry Bird costume, no sewing required, again!


Awwe!  Cute little pirate!
For his vest, I found a little boys' black suit coat for about $3-$4 at a thrift store.  It was a size too small, but that didn't matter because I cut the sleeves off anyway.  I was going to hem the sleeves, but then I thought the rough look seemed more pirate-y!  I then just glued some gold ribbon around the edges that I got at Michaels.

The first thing Toby wanted to be SURE I didn't forget was the shirt "with the X."  Funny what details little kids notice!  I found a plain, white t-shirt at a thrift store for a couple bucks, and simply cut a slit down the middle. Then I used my crop-o-dile to put four metal eyelets and strung through some brown shoelace string that I had on hand.  Voila!  The "X shirt!"

The shirt
 Jake has a little cummerbund thing and I had some blue fabric scrap on hand.  So, I ironed some pleats and glued them in place, then glued that piece right to the shirt.  This way I didn't have to worry about making something attach to his waist and stay there.

The boots I got for $4 at the thrift store.  Yes, they are girls' boots, but geeze, they look an awful lot like awesome pirate boots, don't they?!  You just don't find brown boots with heels for toddler boys.
So I just basically folded over the boots to get the big cuff, and then glued on the buckle and "J" with the same gold ribbon I trimmed the vest with.



For the headband and hair...

I found a brand new (tag still on it!) black stocking cap at a thrift store for $1.99!  I cut some zig-zaggy prickly hair spikes out of black felt and just glued them around the hat for his hair.  Then I glued some red felt around the hair for his headband.  Well, his head will be warm this Halloween!  I may have to put some long sleeves underneath his shirt this year though.

All in all I think it turned out pretty well!  In the pics he is holding his toy sword, however, he definitely wants me to make him a wood sword like Jake's. SO, I will be doing that this week and will be sure to post a finished costume pic on or after Halloween!

Hope this helps if you are looking for ideas!  It's not too late...you may have to hit a few thrift stores to find these thing, as I did collect them over time.  Good luck and have fun this Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails